Friday, September 26, 2008

Miyagi Japanese Restaurant, New York, N.Y.

Last Thursday when I got to New York for my business trip, I found time for a late lunch in Manhattan's West Village at a little Japanese place called Miyagi. What caught my eye as I walked down the street was their blackboard out front announcing an $8.25 lunch special. Only $8.25? Well, that's as good a Washington prices, and I was expecting New York to be significantly more expensive. So, in I went.

It was late, with only two other tables occupied, and they were finishing up, so I got my choice of tables. A man who appeared to be an owner or manager waited on my table and saw to my needs. We had a little bit of communications challenge due to accents and languages, but we figured everything out.

I started my lunch with a fried baby octopus appetizer. Four baby octopi were breaded in panko breadcrumbs and quickly deep fried until just tender, and I thought them very nicely done.

octopus

Next, I ordered the tempura and sushi lunch box special. A generous serving of vegetable tempura came with a California roll in a laquered box, preceded by a choice of either miso soup or a green salad (I got the salad). The tempura was light and crispy, and the sushi roll was standard and tasted fresh. Hot green tea was served with the main course.

lunchbox

Thus was Miyagi, and it was a delightful find.

No comments: