Saturday, September 27, 2008

Logan@The Heights, Washington, D.C.

I can't remember if I've written about a local neighborhood place before called Logan @ The Heights, or more commonly by Columbia Heights denizens, just "The Heights," but they've recently decided to open for weekday lunches. The "Logan" comes from its elder sister establishment, the Logan Tavern, and the menus and concepts between the two places are similar.

Taking advantage of the new lunches, I had a chance to pop in a couple of weeks ago for a late lunch.

crabmacncheeseI ordered one of the popular reimaginings of an old comfort food standby, their crab and shrimp macaroni and cheese. It's a good multi-cheese mac and cheese made with penne instead of elbow macaroni, with the addition of the seafood, topped with panko bread crumbs before baking. Tasty, assuming one likes seafood. It came with a mixed green salad according to the menu, but the waitress came back later and said it wasn't included. I didn't want to pay for a side salad, so I didn't have one.

My luncheon companion picked the crispy tofu and veggie stir-fry entree. It came, served over a big ball of jasmine rice. It also was preceded by a salad, but our waitress apparently was new didn't know all the rules, so she offered a choice of all the salads. My companion chose the iceberg wedge with blue cheese and bacon crumbles. The problem came at check time, when she billed us for the wedge. I called it to her attention, and after she checked on it, she came back to say that only the mixed green salad was included, and the other salads were extra. I expected her to at least adjust the bill to credit us with the value of a mixed green salad, but she charged us the full value of the lettuce wedge ($4 more).

tofustirfrywedgesalad


So, it turns out I should have had a salad and we should have gotten a $3.95 salad credit for the wedge. I probably should have spoken with the manager about it, but I didn't want to spend the time to complain, as I was in a hurry to get back to work, so I just "adjusted" the tip.

So, while the food at The Heights is okay, you have to watch them on their bills. Caveat emptor.

No comments: