Saturday, September 27, 2008

Salmeron Restaurant, Washington, D.C.

One of our favorite restaurants in the Takoma neighborhood of Washington, D.C., El Tamarindo, recently changed names and ownership. The restaurant is now called "Salmeron Restaurant," and from what we could tell on a recent visit, the menus, food, and kitchen staff are essentially the same as they were under the old name, providing Mexican and Salvadorean offerings. The El Tamarindo location in Adams-Morgan remains open and in operation under the old name.

My dining companion ordered the Trios Burritos, a combination plate with a beef, a cheese, and a chicken burrito all covered in cheese, served with lettuce, sour cream, guacamole, and an orange half. The plate ended up being nearly licked clean, so I gather it was good.

trioburritos

I had the carne de puerco, a dish of fried chunks of pork topped with a tomato sauce and served with salad and Spanish rice. I thought the pork quite tasty, though I would have preferred that the dish come with fried yuca root instead of the rice. Both meals came with the hearty Salvadorean-style tortillas.

carnedepuerco

We'd also gotten there early enough during the evening that our first margaritas were really cheap with happy hour prices (I forgot how much, but it was cheap enough to entice me to have one). The margaritas were unusually good for happy hour, and they poured the tequila with a free hand, always a plus with me.

No comments: