Wednesday, June 04, 2008

Restaurant El Tamarindo, Washington, D.C.

robert

Finally, at long, long last, the Democrats finished their presidential primaries last night. Robert, Ian, and I gathered at the Restaurant El Tamarindo in Adams-Morgan ('twas my first trip to the Adams-Morgan site, and I like it a lot better than the one in Tacoma) as the polls closed, to eat, drink, and watch the returns come in. This was the night of the major thunderstorms and torrential downpours that struck D.C., and I believe it took such a heavy, heavy rainfall to wash away the stench of the primary electoral process.

We picked a Hispanic restaurant, because how the Hispanic vote goes in November is most likely going to decide the election between Obama and McCain.

After we took command of the television in the main dining room, forcing one of the staff members to turn off her Mexican soap operas so we could turn to CNN, Robert and Ian split a pitcher of strawberry margaritas. I drank iced tea all night.

For food, Ian got a bare chicken burrito with rice and beans. Robert got the carnitas (pork) chimichanga garnished with three huge dollops of sour cream, accompanied by rice and salad. I assume they were good, since they both cleaned their plates.

chickenburrito
carnitaschimichanga

I had the sopa de res, a surprisingly delicious beef stew with big chunks of beef, vegetables, and plantain in it; I'd definitely order it again. It came with lime wedges and a Salvadorean style tortilla, which is thicker and smaller in diameter than the usual Mexican types.

sopaderes

For dessert, we all split a single piece of tres leches cake, and it was so good, I'd like to have had a piece all to myself.

tresleches


After the speeches, we paid our bill and parted ways, venturing out into the still-heavy rains.

No comments: