Tuesday, June 03, 2008

American City Diner, Washington, D.C.

Monday night, we wandered over to American City Diner in Friendship Heights after Ian served as the official scorekeeper for some big congressional softball game. Last time we were there, Ian just raved about the chicken noodle soup. He got that again, and, just to see what the excitement was, I got the chicken matzo ball soup. As I suspected, we had the same soup, only mine had this tennis ball sized matzo ball plopped down in the middle of it. The chicken soup was okay, but not orgasmic. The matzo ball I found a bit dry (though that's rather traditional). It was certainly hearty, though.

chicknoodlesoupmatzoballsoup

For our main courses, Ian had a grilled cheese sandwich and fries. He chose the provolone cheese. Oh, he had a little side salad, too, that I phorgot to photograph. With his "special orders," the salad ended up being a bowl of romaine with a little cup of shredded [parmesan??] cheese on the side, and no dressing or croutons.

grilledcheese

I got the chicken liver platter with fries, and it was pretty good. It came with mashed potatoes and green beans. The only problem with the mashed potatoes at this place is that they fix them so that if they have Jewish patrons trying to eat quasi-kosher, so there is no dairy in the potatoes; when I fix mashed potatoes, I melt a stick of butter in a half pint of cream and mix that into the potatoes. But, then, I'm not Jewish.

chickenlivers


Alas, we had no room left for dessert!

No comments: