Friday, June 06, 2008

Gordon Biersch Brewery Restaurant, Washington, D.C.

After attending our Scotch tasting downtown Thursday night, we decided to get dinner. After Ian vetoed about half a dozen restaurants and I vetoed his suggestion of Hooter's, we ended up in Chinatown at Gordon Biersch Brewery Restaurant, a fairly high-end national chain with about thirty restaurants coast to coast. They have their microbrewery on premises, and their food was surprisingly good.

Robert got a glass of their Märzen lager, a medium-hued beer they used in cooking a lot of their menu items. Ian and I drank Scotch and water (the well Scotch turned out to be Dewar's).

Since we'd had appetizers at the Scotch tasting, we went straight to main courses. Ian got the linguine marinara with added chicken breast, plus a big side of garlic fries. Often this sort of dish is a restuarant throw-away, but I sampled his and was pleasantly surprised that the linguine was al dente, the marinara sauce had good flavor, and the dish included a lot of fresh mozzarella cheese.

linguine

Robert and I both ordered the steak frites. They marinate a flat iron steak in their Märzen beer, then grill and slice it. It's presented atop their garlic fries, then drizzled with their house steak sauce. The steak was good (flat iron steaks are usually always flavorful and tender). The garlic fries were good and skillfully flavored. Robert and I differed in opinion as to the overall dish, though. He loved the barbecue-flavored steak sauce that drenched the meat and fries. I didn't like it. It was sweet and overpoweringly "barbecue-y." I would have preferred my steak unsauced, not to mention preferring plain catsup (or even better, mayonnaise) for my fries instead of potatoes drowned in steak sauce. Should I order this dish again, I'll definitely ask for no steak sauce.

steak

Robert didn't want dessert. So, he ordered the apple bread pudding with vanilla ice cream adored with candied pecans, and after eating the pudding, he used his straw to suck up all the remaining melted ice cream and butter. I guess he didn't like it. But, after all, he didn't want it.

breadpudding

Ian and I split a slice of their double chocolate fudge cake with crème anglaise. Instead of bringing us one plate of cake with two forks, the waitress actually had the cake split in the kitchen and we were presented two separate plates. It must have been an enormous slice, since my half was, I thought, big enough to share.

cake1

No comments: