Monday, June 02, 2008

La Tapenade Mediterranean Café, Chicago, Ill.

panino


On a recent return flight through O'Hare Airport in Chicago, I found a place I suspect is a little more on the chain side, or at least soon to be, than local mom and pop eatery. La Tapenade Mediterranean Café is a brand-new place (as in, I was there the first week they were open) that was developed exclusively for the airport by HMSHost, the international commercial caterers formerly known as Marriott Host Services. I suspect that as it becomes successful and they analyze the diner trends, the concept will be exported to other large airports throughout the country.

I got a turkey berry panino with turkey, feta cheese, grilled zucchini, and a berry mayonnaise. It was actually really good. It came with a rather confusingly little container of hummus dip, and I wasn't sure what I was supposed to do with it. There were no chips or pieces of pita bread, so, being too lazy to get up and go over to get a fork, I merely lapped it up from the container with my tongue in between bites of sandwich.

We'll have to teach HMSHost some Italian......when I ordered a "panino," the person selling/serving the sandwich said, "You'd like the panini?" I responded, "One is enough," but clearly my understanding of Italian plurals was lost on her. If I remember, I'll try to write HMSHost—after all, they are headquartered just around the corner here in Bethesda.

No comments: