Monday, October 16, 2006

M Street Bar and Grill, Washington, D.C.

After going to the Mozart service at St. John's yesterday morning, my friend Max and I headed out to brunch at the M Street Bar and Grill in the St. Gregory Hotel in Washington's West End. They have a jazz-champagne brunch every Sunday for just $21.95 that includes an entree, dessert, and unlimited champagne, mimosas, or bloody Marys. While I've heard about their brunch for months, this was the first time I'd gone.

We drank bloody Marys, of course. They were all pre-mixed, and I thought they could have used a little vodka....I would have come close to swearing that we were drinking straight mixer.

The food, though, was quite tasty. Max chose the buttermilk fried chicken with sage gravy and accompanied by macaroni and cheese and a sweet potato puree studded with pecans. A sprinkling of clover garnished the dish. He reported that it was quite good.

friedchicken


I had the rosemary roast lamb and poached eggs on a salad of spinach, cucumber, red onion, and feta cheese. The lamb had the taste and texture of shish kebab lamb, but there was no hole in the pieces of the meat, and rested atop the vegetable salad. A creamy dressing that matched the feta was tossed in the greens. The two poached eggs on the plate were enrobed in a little hollandaise sauce. I enjoyed the dish; it was a little different than I had expected, but I particularly liked all the salad vegetables and the simplicity of the lamb.

lambeggs


For dessert, Max had the cheese cake with sugar-dusted raspberries and blackberries and drizzled with caramel sauce.

cheesecake


I had the very interesting ginger cake topped with orange segments and a light orange sauce. The cake seemed to me rather like a moist gingerbread made without the molasses.

gingercake


We were seated on the mezzanine level of the restaurant, yet we still had a good view of the jazz pianist/singer during brunch. All in all, it was a fun afternoon. And, here's a picture of Max in his Kody Pose.

kodypose

No comments: