Saturday, January 15, 2005

Latin American Cafeteria, Miami, FL

All the flights at the Miami airport were running late today from the rain, so while I waited for my rebooked flight, I had time for a late lunch. I found a Cuban place in the airport called Latin American Cafeteria and had arroz imperial, fried plantains, and a guava cheesecake. Arroz imperial is sort of a one-pot dish, being mostly yellow rice, along with peas, pimiento, parsley, onion, and big chunks of boned chicken all stewed together and then garnished with a sour cream sauce and more parsley and pimiento. It's good but filling, especially the huge serving the cafeteria lady gave me. It was the same with the big serving of plantain I got. The guava cheesecake was a great big huge slice of tall, New York style cheesecake with a layer of guava preserves on top.

1 comment:

Unknown said...

I am a commercial pilot. I routinely have layovers at the Miami international airport and I am particularly fond of the Arroz Imperial at La Carreta. It is, as stated, very filling, I would love to find a recipe for it.