Thursday, January 13, 2005

Fontainebleau Hotel, Miami Beach, FL

The UM alumni reception was tonight at the Fontainebleau. They're getting cheap on us.....we used to be fed an actual lunch, instead of a cocktail party. Anyway, I found the hors d'oeuvres service to be interestingly confused. A table in the center of the room was set with large trays of vegetable crudites and assortments of surprisingly unexciting canapes, cheese cubes, plus one baked brie en croute.

Then, waiters circulated, passing difficult to eat items such as beef satay, conch fritters, chicken and vegetable kebabs, and crab cakes. Wouldn't it have made more sense to put these items on the buffet table, and then pass the canapes? Open bar, of course, with the same set up as the other cocktail parties. I let myself indulge a little more tonight and got a bit tipsy. It's not too bad, though, cause so far it appears I am writing coherently! I knew very few people at the reception; none of my classmates were there.

No comments: