Saturday, September 13, 2008

Chinatown Express, Washington, D.C.

arch

Well, I still haven't found my digital camera, so you're going to have to make do with pictures taken by my Blackberry. Some of them are okay, some of them are strangely blurry, but it's better than nothing.

Anyway, last night, we made a quick late trip to Chinatown to see what we could find open to eat. We found one place open that had dinner hanging in the window: barbecued ribs, chickens, octopi, and duck all were displayed and taken down and chopped up as they were ordered. I suppose that's their way of showing that things are fresh. For seafood, there're a couple of big aquaria by the front door with big fish, lobsters, and other wet things swimming around.

windowfood

I had some of their fresh noodle soup with chicken and several kinds of Chinese vegetables like the Asian versions of broccoli and watercress. I thought it was quite tasty, and at $5 for a big bowl, it was a nice bargain. My dining companion had half of a Peking duck, and pronounced it delicious. It came with a plate of shredded green onions, some little pancakes, and a bowl of duck sauce, and lightly steamed florets of broccoli and some cilantro garnished the plate of duck. Peking duck is always expensive, but I thought $14.95 for a half duck was very reasonable what with Washington prices.

noodlesouppekingduck

After dinner, we stopped by the Verizon Center McDonald's just as they were closing for ice cream. I understand from the Olympic athletes that there were McDonald's in Beijing, so that made our dessert an "authentic" Chinese choice.

No comments: