Sunday, July 06, 2008

The Tombs, Georgetown, D.C.

After the fireworks display Friday night, there was no way we wanted to be back in the subway system for a couple of hours 'til the crowds cleared out. Not a problem, though, since we were in Georgetown. After a quick pass through Francis Scott Key Park right by the Key Bridge (it's the site of Key's former law office), where it might have been fun to watch the "rocket's red glare" had there not been so many sky-blocking trees, we wandered down M Street nearly to Wisconsin before Robert decided he wanted to go to The Tombs. Eh. The Tombs is directly north of the Key Bridge, so we were half a mile too far to the east. But, it looked like it was going to rain again, so we went up to Prospect Street and then backtracked to The Tombs.

mintjulepbourbonsttea

We ordered mint juleps, but what we got were the palest mint juleps I think I'd ever seen. Aren't juleps supposed to be bourbon brown? There was a slight bourbon flavor, but otherwise, I would have sworn we got mojitos!

So, we switched to Bourbon Street teas, their bourbon-based version of a Long Island tea. It was okay.....but with the alcohol that should have been in the drink, I would have expected (especially after having had a prior drink) to get a little bit of a buzz, but I didn't. Eh. So, I gave up.

Meanwhile, Robert ordered a pitcher of nasty cheap beer (Miller Lite, I think it was). I'm not a beer person (especially when it's nasty beer), so I abstained. Eventually, we decided to pep things up a bit for him, and ordered a shot of Maker's Mark to drop in the beer glass. Unfortunately, they didn't have any shot glasses! All they had were little rocks glasses, and they were too big to put into the beer glasses, so we just dumped the bourbon into the beer and Robert drank it that way.

After he finished his beer, Robert was hungry, so he got a bowl of chili. I don't know why we stayed so long. The music was so loud in there, we had to write on paper to communicate!

chili


Then, I don't know where it came from, but another pitcher and another shot of bourbon showed up. Robert didn't want to waste it, so he graciously forced himself to drink it, rather than send them back to the bar to be discarded.

It was after midnight by the time we left The Tombs. When we got out on the street, I soon discovered that Robert was a little more toasted than me (musta been the two extra pitchers of beer and two double shots of bourbon).....so much so that I didn't think it would be a good idea to deposit him on a Metro train and send him home to Takoma alone (and that was assuming that we could have walked him to a station!)....so we dragged Ian out and rented a Zipcar to drive him home.

No comments: