Tuesday, June 10, 2008

Combinacion Restaurant, Washington, D.C.

Before doing some last minute grocery shopping with Robert Monday afternoon, the heat and humidity were so oppressive just walking the two or three blocks we did, we popped in to Combinacion Restaurant, a tiny, mom-and-pop type, Salvadorean place for lunch and something cold to drink. We were the only non-native Spanish speakers in the restaurant, and I found it helpful to talk to the waitress in my limited Spanish.

Robert got a flank steak dinner he thought was good. The steak was covered with grilled peppers and onions. He also sipped a Corona. I got two pupusas revueltas and two chicken tamales from the à la carte menu, and washed it down with a glass of horchata, a refreshing Latin American drink made from rice, milk, sugar, cinnamon, and vanilla. I thought my tamales were particularly good, though the pupusas were only average. Unfortunately, I'd left my camera back at the lodge, so I didn't get any pictures.

No comments: