Tuesday, April 08, 2008

Gloria's Pupeseria, Washington, D.C.

Continuing my exploration of restaurants around the new Target store, tonight I visited Gloria's Pupeseria, a tiny Salvadorean place with a brisk Latino business. This is truly one of those local gems for those who like Salvadorean food, and, at very, very cheap prices, too. I've been twice now, both times being the only non-Latino in the place. Good thing I can still recall some of my rudimentary high school Spanish.

Being a Salvadorean place, they specialize in pupusas, little, round, fried, cornmeal cakes stuffed with cheese or with a mixture of pork and cheese. I got a couple of pupusas revueltas, the mixed kind. They came with the traditional accompaniment of shredded, pickled cabbage and tomato sauce, which is eaten as a part of the pupusa.

pupusas


I also had a tasty and really big plate of chicharrones con yuca, fried bits of pork ribs with a huge serving of big sticks of deep-fried yucca. Yucca isn't the ornamental, spiky-leaved desert plant popular in many landscapes, but a big, starchy root that is used much like potatoes in many Carribbean and Central American cuisines. The plate also had another serving of the pickled cabbage.

chicharrones

No comments: