Friday, April 11, 2008

El Sol de America, Washington, D.C.

Last night, Laurent and I went to that place on U Street Robert and I discovered the other day, El Sol de America. Too bad it's in such an out of the way location, cause I like the place a lot.

We had a bit of a false start, however, as both of us ordered iced tea. What they brought had been made in the coffee pot (it's a short cut to use the hot water from the coffee maker), and I could distinctly taste the coffee in the tea. I mentioned it to the waiter and he denied it; he brought me a Diet Coke in replacement, though, and I noticed him talking to other staff members about the problem. When Laurent got a refill of tea some time later, he said that they'd made a new batch and it no longer tasted of coffee.

pupusasWe started with a plate of three pupusas, one queso (cheese, the white Salvadorean kind), one revueltas (mixed cheese and pork), and one loroco (loroco is a flower native to El Salvador, and the buds are chopped and mixed with cheese for the pupusas). I thought the pupusas were quite good. They brought us two tiny containers of chopped up pickled cabbage to go with them, and I thought it lacked the character and "authenticity" of the big shreds of cabbage I usually get at the more ethnic pupeserias.

Laurent got a burro for his main course. It was filled with lots of grilled steak, plus rice, black beans, and some lettuce. He liked it and found it quite filling.

burro


I had a pork chimichanga. They grill their chimichangas here instead of deep-frying them. It was topped with guacamole, sour cream, lettuce, and pico de gallo, and little sides of black beans and cilantro rice accompanied the plate. I thought the beans were a little on the bland side, but the cilantro rice was very interesting and vibrant.

porkchimichanga


Laurent wanted dessert. He got the tres leches cake, it looked yummy, and he liked it a lot. I got a flan.

tresleches
flan

No comments: