Wednesday, March 14, 2007

Kabob Bazaar, Arlington, Va.

Kabob Bazaar is a Persian (Iranian) restaurant. Here, you go up to the counter in back to place your order and pay, then the food is brought to you either at a table inside or on their sidewalk cafe area outside. They also have a luncheon special that changes daily. When I was there, it was baghali polo, and it was absolutely delicious! It's not on their regular lunch menu, so you can only get it on Tuesdays. I had a big lamb shank with meat that was so tender and juicy it was just falling from the bone. The lamb rested on rice mixed with some fava beans and dillweed, giving it a green color, and some saffron rice had been scattered on top almost as a garnish. With the meal came a basket of excellent hot, fresh pita bread with a little plastic container of yogurt dipping sauce and a big handful of parsley, cilantro, watercress, and the tops of green onions. I ordered a doogh, a traditional yogurt and mint drink, for my beverage. The doogh made me a little nervous at first, since my first experience with Persian food was back when I was an undergraduate and tried a a version of lassi at a Georgetown Persian restaurant; it was awful; it reminded me of sour, peppered Alka-Seltzer! The doogh at Kabob Bazaar was good though, with my only criticism being that they used dried mint instead of fresh, and I had a couple of little dried stems floating around in my drink. One thing I noticed about this restaurant is that it was bustling and full of people, but, other than the employees, all of the guests were male! Just as I was getting ready to leave, though, a party of six came in that included one lady. Anyway, I'm very much looking forward to coming back here.

No comments: