Friday, February 09, 2007

Old Ebbitt Grill, Washington, D.C.

My friend Joe from south Florida is in town this weekend with his wife, his two daughters, and two of his granddaughters so they can show the girls around town. It's the first time the girls have seen snow or experienced "cold." In preparation for their visit, I arranged for them to get a tour of the White House. Since the Secret Service doesn't allow cameras in the White House, I wandered over there so I could snap some photos of them coming out of the house and down the drive—it's the only way you can prove you were there! LOL

After Joe's family came out, they invited me to join them for breakfast at Old Ebbitt Grill. His daughter Mary ordered a vegetable-cheese frittata; she liked it and commented on how the little miniature cast iron skillet kept the food warm while she ate it.

frittata


I had the strata, and I was quite surprised and pleased at how good it was. The custard-soaked brioche was scented with nutmeg and just a hint of cinnamon before it was baked in a miniature skillet. It came with some nicely done fried potatoes with onions and peppers and a little bowl of fresh fruit including blood orange, pineapple, cantaloupe, and grapes.

stratta


allamericanAll of the rest of the group got the "All American breakfast, with two eggs, choice of breakfast meats, fried potatoes, and toast. That big white space in the picture was Joe's two fried eggs.

The coffee was very good, and it wasn't just the fact we were coming in from the cold. The others all had freshly-squeezed orange juice.

I thought the wait staff was very attentive, and they were particularly good with the young girls.

Afterwards, we had to show the kids the restaurant walrus, so I took a picture.

family

No comments: