Wednesday, May 10, 2006

Georgetown Cafe, Georgetown, D.C.

Just moments ago I walked back in from having been to "breakfast" at Georgetown Cafe with Ian, who not only dragged me out for a 4 a.m. breakfast but made me walk the 1.5 miles each way since there's no public transportation at that hour of the day. We both had omelettes with home fries, and then igarvey ordered an extra basket of their battered French fries. I was disappointed that after one glass of iced tea, they ran out of tea, and had to bring me a nasty sweet raspberry tea as a less-than-satisfactory substitute.

There were about a dozen policemen at a big table next to us....in fact, as I walked up to the cafe and saw all the constabulary vehicles I thought perhaps there'd been some kind of criminal incident. Ian said the cops made him feel safe and secure, but I, being ethnic, was a little uneasy.

The nice thing about that 3 a.m. to 6 a.m. window in Georgetown is that in contrast to the traffic and congestion of the daytime, the streets are deserted and it's a very quiet, peaceful place.

Now, the question is whether to nap for an hour or two or just stay up. Too bad nobody else is awake.

No comments: