Sunday, April 24, 2005

Cafe Deluxe, Washington, D.C.

While we were in the neighborhood of the National Cathedral, three of us wandered over to a little cafe across the street where Laura Bush sometimes lunches called Cafe Deluxe, and it seems quite a few others from the service had the same idea.

Leo had the fire-roasted tomato bisque and the chicken and cheese quesadillas. Michael had a hamburger and fries. In honor of Passover, I had the lamb and goat cheese sandwich and fries. My sandwich was good, and would have been even tastier without the roasted red bell pepper on it, which was a bit overpowering until I pulled it off.

For dessert, Leo had a hot fudge and caramel chocolate brownie sundae, Michael the creme brulee (which he didn't like), and I ordered a blueberry cobbler. My cobbler was one of the most unusual presentations of cobbler I've seen in a long time, being served as an individual pie with very thick, almost cookie-like, sweet pate sucree pastry and the blueberries were such an interesting color and shape and taste I would have sworn that they were canned peaches.

It was a fun little cafe, though the service was very slow. Perhaps they were not anticipating a Sunday evening rush from the cathedral....but they've been there long enough, I can't believe it was a total surprise.

No comments: