Thursday, December 23, 2004

Cardigan's, Tulsa, OK

Tony met my friend Darren tonight. We went to an amusing little bistro in his neighborhood called Cardigan's. Dinner was entertaining enough. Darren was a whimp and only ordered a large Caesar salad, and didn't even have chicken or shrimp or anything thrown in for fun. Tony had the 14 ounce club steak with a baked potato, dinner Caesar salad, and a huge piece of lemon merigue pie. I started with the house salad with a blue cheese dressing that was interestingly based on a buttermilk-herb recipe. For a main course, I had the grilled yellowfin tuna, medium rare, served on a bed of fresh spinach leaves and topped with a sautee of artichokes, diced tomato, chopped onion, chopped parsley, minced garlic and a hint of rosemary, all liberally doused with a balsalmic vinegar reduction. It was quite good, though on one occasion, I did get a shocking splash of vinegar in one of the artichoke pieces, and I thought the fish was cooked just a touch beyond medium rare. The accompanying rice pilaf was rather ordinary, but it was inconsequential. My dessert was a coconut cream pie, the filling of which was delicious, but I found the crust to be too thick, too salty, and too undercooked. After dinner, we went back to Darren's house for coffee, which I think he said was some Mexican organic something or other.....

And just think, Darren wanted to order delivery pizza and stay home!

No comments: