Sunday, October 24, 2004

Montana Mike's, Bartlesville, OK

For my father's 77th birthday dinner, we all went to a chain restaurant called Montana Mike's, a hunting and fishing themed steakhouse. I've been there before....could be better, could be worse. Interestingly, their only Oklahoma restaurants seem to be in Bartlesville and Miami, with none in either Tulsa or Oklahoma City. Anyway, the waitress was a bit preoccupied tonight, and appeared only rarely.....which is unusual in a town like Bartlesville where the hired help is usually overly solicitous. We started with tossed green salads, which were okay, but the greens lacked crispness. My bleu cheese dressing was tasty and had actual chunks of cheese in it, so it passed muster. My entree was a large t-bone steak, medium rare, served sizzling on a hot cast iron tray, accompanied by a baked sweet potato dripping in butter. There was brown sugar on the side, but I opted not to use any. The steak was very tasty and flavorful, but I could tell from the texture that it had been fairly liberally doused with papain extract (meat tenderizer made from papaya fruit). There was enough of a bone to take home to Trevor, the dog. We didn't do dessert there, since my mother baked a red velvet cake frosted in milk chocolate icing.

No comments: