Thursday, September 04, 2008

Clyde's at Gallery Place, Washington, D.C.

Had lunch today in Gallery Place at Clyde's. Robert had a craving for their "Washingtonian roast beef sandwich," so since I was in the neighborhood having been at the federal courthouse all morning, I agreed to come along.

Now, I'm craving potato salad.

Robert's sandwich was a large thing with thinly sliced roast beef with cream cheese and red onions on toasted pumpernickel bread served with creamed horseradish sauce. It came with a side dish of some absolutely delicious looking salad of new red potatoes, and potato salad has been on my mind ever since.

I started with their Maryland crab soup, since we're cooking a crab chowder on Monday and Robert and I wanted to sample their version. It was okay, with a bit of a pepper bite (probably Old Bay Seasoning) in a thin, tomato-based broth. For my main course, I had their steakhouse salad, a nice entree salad with romaine, vegetables, feta cheese, and hot slices of grilled sirloin, in their steakhouse dressing. For dessert, thinking Robert was going to share, I got the peach cobbler, but he decided he didn't want any dessert. Probably just as well, though, since I thought the cobbler was especially mediocre. It was actually tough!

Now I'm hungry. Haven't had dinner yet. But, I'll be stuck here in front of the television watching the end of the Republican convention before I can venture out to forage for food. I wonder if anyone will have potato salad at midnight?

No comments: