Saturday, July 26, 2008

The Heights, Washington, D.C.

Kevin and I were both in town this afternoon, so we decided to go to lunch at The Heights across from the Columbia Heights Target store. It's always nice lunching in this neighborhood because there aren't large quantities of office workers or tourists crowding the restaurants, so our time was quite leisurely. The Heights also has a nice luncheon special with your choice of a sandwich or a salad, plus your choice of either an appetizer or dessert, plus a beverage, for only $17.

Kevin started with the soup du jour, a carrot-ginger broth that was not a cream soup or potage and rather unexpected. As it turned out, it was a fun idea, but Kevin didn't like the soup at all. I traded appetizers with him and ate the soup, but it was definitely odd. There was a strong carrot presence with a little carrot pulp, plus flavors of ginger and butter, but what I couldn't quite place was a rather unpleasant medicinal taste, almost as if a little Pine-Sol had been added to the soup pot.

carrotgingersoup

I ordered the ginger calamari flash fry, a really nice bit of lightly done squid with both squid rings and baby squid that had been very lightly breaded and then flash fried with ginger and scallion. They presented it with lettuce and shredded red cabbage, plus chopsticks as an eating utensil. I thought it delicious.

gingercalamari


Kevin's main course was a bare burger, simply grilled, and accompanied by fries and a dill pickle spear. I got an unusual but tasty BLT sandwich with the standard BLT ingredients plus a provolone cheese-topped crab cake. The only thing I would have done differently with the crab BLT is make the crab cake a flatter patty instead of the thick cake they used.

bareburger
crabBLT


I hope they feed their waiters at The Heights after their shifts are over. Our waiter and the other two I saw were all ***so*** skinny! I thought our service was fine today, though Kevin was a bit miffed. He seemed to think our waiter was flirting with me. Always a bad thing, waiters, when you flirt with just one of the people at your table, but you don't flirt with the one paying the tab and your tip!

No comments: