Thursday, March 20, 2008

Bangkok Bistro of Georgetown, Georgetown, D.C.

Since we were in the neighborhood after having spent the evening shopping, we went to Bangkok Bistro of Georgetown for a bit of Thai food for dinner. As many times as I've walked up and down Prospect Street, this was the first time for me to visit the place, and it turned out to be surprisingly good. Sorry there are no pictures, but I didn't take a camera with me.

They have a large, pleasant dining room in two big areas. The wait staff is almost all Thai (the bartender looked more Hispanic to me than Asian), and they were all dressed in dark trousers with French blue shirts and greenish-beige ties that they all wore tucked into the shirts.

Ian started with a banana daquiri and I started with tom ka gai soup. The soup was very nice with the coconut soup slightly thickened and flavorful. My only problem was that they had a lot of exotic spices and vegetable materials in the soup still that were big flavor surprises when bitten, including one very hot pepper!

We were a bit surprised that our entrees came with little iceberg lettuce salads with a sweet, peanut dressing, and topped with crispy fried noodle strips.

For our main courses, Ian had the chicken pad pik khing, a red chile curry with green beans and chicken served over rice. I had the Thai bar-b-q chicken. Half a chicken was trimmed and stacked in pieces, accompanied by a hot spicy sweet sauce, a big mound of green papaya salad (good, but the green papaya was a little too green and didn't have much flavor itself), and a basket full of sticky rice.

We didn't have dessert, but I noticed they had taro custard on the menu, so I'll be looking forward to trying that on a future visit. And I do plan on going back. The service was attentive and the food flavorful. The prices are a little on the higher side for a Thai place, but they are in Georgetown, and they are not an expensive restaurant in the grand scheme of things in D.C.

No comments: