Monday, November 26, 2007

Hops Grill and Brewery, Alexandria, Va.

My friend Lloyd and I ventured down to Potomac Yards in northern Alexandria to do a little shopping this afternoon, and while we were there, we decided to grab dinner at Hops Grill and Brewery. Hops is a microbrewery chain with casual American restaurant food.

The dining room is dominated by a glass walled section filled with the large brewing vats used to make their local beers. The rest of the space is red brick and dark woods.

We started off with root beers. They make their root beer in-house; we had to wait a while, since they were just finishing up a fresh batch. It definitely tasted different than the standard stuff that comes out of a pop can.

Lloyd had the crispy chicken tenders with both French fries and their house made "pub chips" (instead of one potato and one side). He likes fried food.

chickentenders

I ordered the bottomless soup and salad. It came with a plate of their honey-drizzled croissants we shared that were surprisingly light, crisp, and very, very good.

croissants

For a salad, one gets a choice of the regular house salad (which I got), a Caesar salad, or an iceberg lettuce wedge. The salad I got had ripe tomato wedges (even in November!), cheese, bacon, and little thin slivvers of shoestring potatoes.

housesalad

potatosoupThere were also three soups from which to choose: baked potato, clam chowder, and onion. The potato soup is a tasty and hearty mix with cheese and bacon in the soup and garnished with chives and more cheese and bacon. The clam chowder was pretty good for a non-seafood restaurant, with a good proportion of clams and not too many potatoes. I was disappointed, though, with the French onion soup, which seemed to have been made from a powdered mix that they got just a little too strong on this batch and with a cheese covered crouton that had a rather odd taste to me. Next time, I'll just stick to the potato and clam soups.

clamchowderonionsoup

The menu had a lot of things I wanted to try, but after all the food of the holiday weekend, I thought the lighter salad approach was the best idea. I would like to come back again.

No comments: