Monday, June 11, 2007

Three Tomatoes Trattoria, Lebanon, N.H.

Friday night, while I was up at Dartmouth College for my nephew's graduation, Brian took Ryan, Riley, Riley's friend Ray, and me to dinner in the nearby town of Lebanon to Three Tomatoes Trattoria. Lebanon, Hanover, and nearby Norwich, Vt., form the cultural oasis in this part of the world, so Three Tomatoes is one of several charming and busy restaurants in the area.

Riley and Ray started with Caesar salads and Brian and I chose the zuppa del giorno, a tomato-bread soup. I thought it nicely flavorful without being too sweet. It didn't have that much bread in it, though, so I ended up "accidentally" dropping little pieces of the crusty bread basket bread in the soup. Meanwhile, Brian drank a couple of gin and tonics, and Ryan drank root beer.

caesarsalad.jpg
breadsoup.jpg


Brian got the chicken parmeggiano on linguine for his dinner and Ray had the chicken saltimbocca. They are both actually similar dishes, though the saltimbocca is topped with sauteed spinach and has a whole bunch more vegetables instead of pasta.

parmeggiano.jpg
saltimbocca.jpg


Riley had penne al fruiti di mare, with no shrimp (his request) and more squid, mussels, and clams. It really looked good, and I noticed a lot of baby squid in the dish. Ryan got meatballs on penne.

fruittidimare.jpg
meatballs.jpg


I made an interesting combination of smaller dishes for my main course. First, I had the beet and arugula salad, with quarters of roasted beets, toasted pecans, and crumbles of feta cheese on a bed of bitter arugula dressed in a lightly sweet balsamic vinaigrette. I thought this was a lovely salad, with a nice balance of flavors and all of the "taste" groups. Next I had their appetizer serving of Prince Edward Island mussels baked with bread crumbs and Italian herbs.

arugulabeetsalad.jpg
mussels.jpg


Desserts were fun. Riley and I both had cannoli. Ryan had coconut cake, and Ray had a hazelnut espresso cake.

cannoli.jpg
coconutcake.jpg
hazelnutespressocake.jpg


Brian did a cappuccino (his very first, he said) and a neat little stir-rod with crystalized sugar candy on it.

cappuccino.jpg


We really enjoyed Three Tomatoes. It was a busy place, but we had excellent service and the food was quite tasty. If anyone ever makes it to that part of the country, it's well worth a try.

Here's Ray with his Kody Pose™ (Kody's famous, even in New Hampshire!):

ray.jpg

No comments: