Saturday, December 02, 2006

Lauriol Plaza, Washington, D.C.

Tonight for dinner, Ian and I walked up to Lauriol Plaza between Dupont and Adams-Morgan for a little Mexican food. Lauriol Plaza, the sister restaurant to Cactus Cantina over by the National Cathedral, is actually a huge place with an outdoor patio, first and second floors inside, and a full rooftop seating area. While a tent-like fabric wall was in place for the winter, generally the rooftop is open air in the summertime. We were there for an early dinner, arriving about 5:45, and already all four big seating areas were starting to fill up. By 6:15, people were having to stand in line and wait for tables.

They had a full legal-size paper supplement to the menu with all of the evening's daily specials (the scallop and shrimp chimichanga was calling to me, but I maintained my self-discipline). Notwithstanding the many options, Ian ordered his usual Mexican meal, a naked chicken burrito (what they were calling the burrito gordo, but with him deleting the guacamole, cheese, salsa, lettuce, and tomato) with rice and pinto beans, plus an extra side of rice and black beans. I had the BBQ ranch chicken salad. It was an oversized bowl of salad greens with diced, barbecued chicken, corn, black beans, avocado, and cucumber, crowned with three intentionally cold fried onion rings. Since the pinto beans were flavored with bacon, Ian wouldn't eat them (he doesn't do red meats), and I became the beneficiary of the bowl. I had my camera with me tonight, but I forgot to take pictures until we'd already started eating.

No comments: