Monday, December 11, 2006

Annie's Paramount Steakhouse, Washington, D.C.

max2Our friend Maxwell took nephew Ryan and me to brunch after we visited his church and watched him play altar boy.

He likes to cocktail, so he picked Annie's Paramount Steakhouse, where I've been many, many times for dinner, but never before dark; this was my first brunch there.

Max, an unrepentent southern Virginian from an FFV family, lives just a few blocks from the church, and always drives there. I guess it's an old Southern tradition. That was convenient, though, since he could drive us up to Annie's. The problem, however, is that we had to drive around for nearly fifteen minutes before he found a parking place big enough for his car!

annies1Once we got there, it was clear that the entire staff knew Max and we quickly had a non-stop flow of bloody Marys coming to the table.

Meanwhile, Ryan decided he had to have some barbecued ribs, so he ordered a rib appetizer with three big ribs. As you can tell, he was ravenously hungry. And he didn't share.

Once we got to our main courses, everything was quite good. I always like Annie's; the steaks are good but still inexpensive. Max had steak and eggs with fried potatoes and fresh fruit.

steakandeggs


Ryan had French toast with two big links of sausage, fried potatoes, and fresh fruit.

frenchtoast


I ordered the country fried steak. What I got was delicious though totally not what I was expecting; they brought me a sirloin steak that had been sliced into fingers, dredged in flour and fried, then doused with gravy. I had country fries with mine.

countryfried


Nobody did dessert, even Ryan. I think everyone preferred just to have another bloody Mary and call it dessert. After all, tomatoes are fruits, you know.

So, that was brunch at Annie's. Very good, as usual. Now that I realize they are open in the daytime (LOL), I may have to go back. Thanks to Max for his usual Southern hospitality.

No comments: