Wednesday, May 17, 2006

Bangkok One, Washington, D.C.

Yesterday I lunched at Bangkok One, just off McPherson Square near my office. I just happened to run into Bangkok One by accident, and I'm glad I did.

It's a rather non-descript place from the outside with what looks like a homemade hand-painted sign on the window. Inside, though, the decor features mirrors all along one wall and in the other wall there are deep display cases recessed in the wall behind locked glass doors which held all kinds of beautiful Thai works of art including fabrics, dolls, statues, and precious metals. The large dining room staff was all clad in black trousers with colorful Asian print silk shirts.

I started with their summer rolls with peanut sauce, expecting the usual two rice paper-wrapped egg roll with a thick peanut dipping sauce, but their version was a bit different. They sliced the rolls in the kitchen and presented them on a leaf-shaped plate like a sushi roll. The sauce was a sweet, clear sauce with chopped peanuts. I was also favorably impressed with how quickly the summer rolls came from the kitchen.

For my main course, I had the Bangkok green fried rice. This was a very nice green curry stir-fry of rice and chicken with all kinds of green vegetables, sprouts, and basil leaves garnished with cucumber slices. The curry was good, having enough spice to keep my mouth tingling but without being too hot to eat and enjoy.

Many of the other entrees I saw going to the tables looked quite interesting, so I'll be looking forward to eating here again.

No comments: