Wednesday, May 24, 2006

Au Pied Bistro, Georgetown, D.C.

This past weekend, Leo once again decided he wanted French food for dinner (how he expects to lose weight and get skinny when he goes to the gym for two hours and then promptly wants to go out to dinner is beyond me), and talked me in to going with promises of buying me dinner a La Chaumière in Georgetown. So, we walked over, but once we got there, the place he actually wanted to go was Au Pied Bistro, quite a difference from Chaumière! I was his guest for the evening, though, so I was gracious and went to Au Pied with him.

He started off with a pink diamond martini. I'm not sure what made it a "pink" diamond, since it was decidedly yellow and he reported a pineapple taste.

martini


For food, he began with the ceviche. Now, ceviche is a traditional Spanish dish where the fish or seafood is "cooked" by marinating it in spiced lime juice, and typically it's served as an appetizer in a small bowl, much like a "cooked" sashimi. Leo was surprised, then, when the ceviche arrived as a large salad. He ate what he could (I got to eat the delicious French olives), but he'd only intended it as a first course, so he left most of the salad.

ceviche


His main course was a shrimp fettucine with a light cream sauce. It looked okay to me, but later he complained about not feeling well; apparently, there's some Chinese folk wisdom about not mixing vodka with cream sauce (and, we all know how vodka is the National Drink of China and an old, traditional beverage).

linguine


I wasn't really that hungry, so I ordered a croque madame, which was quite disappointing. The sandwich is pretty basic, being a sliced croissant topped by shaved turkey and drenched in bechamel sauce—usually something pretty hard to mess up. Well, they managed to mess it up anyway, and this is a French bistro! I suspect that they microwaved the croissant to heat it up, but it only made the croissant tough and difficult to cut with a table knife.

madame


To make matters worse, the waitress brought the plate without any condiments and without asking if I wanted any. If I hadn't asked the for a refill on my water, she likely would have disappeared into the kitched, never to be seen again. She came back with the water pitcher, but still no condiments; I asked for some mayonnaise for my pommes frites. What she brought me was something I don't think any self-respecting restaurant in France would recognize as mayonnaise: two packets of commercial "mayonnaise."

mayo


So, dinner wasn't quite as successful as we would have liked.

No comments: