Monday, December 12, 2005

The Sign of the Whale, Washington, D.C.

After going to the Advent Lessons and Carols service at St. Matthew's Cathedral last night, a small group of us walked down M Street to a pub called The Sign of the Whale for a pint of beer and half-priced burgers. Our table was right by the roaring fireplace in the bar area, where three television sets were each tuned to different sports channels. My hickory burger was tasty, though very messy to eat (nice touch of grilled onions, too); the hickory sauce was a touch sweeter than I prefer, but still good; I thought my French fries with mayonnaise for dipping were excellent. I drank a pint of Foggy Bottom Ale, a local microbrewery product, which tasted like beer (I'm not a beer person). Others liked it, though I thought it a touch fruity and possibly flat, but beers are not my area of expertise. I noticed the pub also had a separate dining room in the back, and there was another area upstairs, though it was closed last night.

No comments: