Saturday, January 08, 2005

Legal Seafood, Washington, D.C.

For dinner tonight, I thought I would try the much-heralded "Legal Seafood" on K Street just north of the hotel a few blocks. I first heard about the place in my Washington DC on $80 a Day book, and then it's on the hotel's list of restaurants in walking distance. It was a bit of a splurge, but the prices were very reasonable for fresh seafood in a full service restaurant.

I began with a cup of New England clam chowder. It was creamy and rich, and had small diced potatoes with the occasional bit of carrot and lots of bits of clam in the stew. My main course was the Boston scrod, which was topped with bread crumbs and baked, accompanied by a red pepper and zuccini rice and steamed heads of broccoli. With dinner, I drank a glass of 2002 Remery pouilly fume, which was nice with the chowder, but didn't quite stand up to the fish. Dessert was a very nice lemon sorbet which was not too sweet and which had a very refreshing "bright" taste to it. They brought a plate with two large hard rolls and a big crock of whipped butter, but I forgot to eat any of the bread or the oyster crackers which came with the chowder.

I definitely want to come back to this restaurant again. They had quite a nice menu with lots and lots of fresh seafood, and the lobsters I saw coming out of the kitchen looked quite yummy.

No comments: